The anti-gay industry comprises a large coalition of evangelical and Roman Catholic leaders, Christian right advocacy groups and right-wing politicians that works on many fronts to restrict the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people. It does so through organized and orchestrated efforts to promote anti-LGBT legislation at all levels of government and by espousing myths and lies about LGBT people for political and financial gain.
Why It Matters:
The anti-gay industry has made great gains over the past two decades, restricting family recognition in 39 states and parenting in at least seven. It continues to work feverishly to restrict the rights of LGBT people, among others. We must stand against these assaults, which are aimed to degrade and dehumanize LGBT people for political and financial gain. Ex-gay ministries increasingly focus on young people, targeting some of the most vulnerable members of our community.
What We’re Doing:
- We expose and counter extremist lies with accurate groundbreaking research from our Policy Institute, our movement’s premier think tank.
- We work with state and local partners nationwide to turn back anti-LGBT legislation.
- We build LGBT political power from the ground up, and lift the voices of LGBT-supportive people of faith via our National Religious Leadership Roundtable and Institute for Welcoming Resources.
- We speak out repeatedly and forcefully against the anti-gay industry's tactics.
What You Can Do:
- Build your skills at Creating Change, the nation’s premier LGBT organizing conference.
- The Issues
- Get Involved
- Our Work
- Reports & Research
- Support Us
- About Us