Reports & Research
Asian Pacific American lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people: A community portrait
The fact that there have been very few studies of Asian Pacific American lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people illustrates how they are overlooked and discriminated against in the broader Asian Pacific American and LGBT communities.
LGBT Asian Pacific Americans are sexual, racial/ethnic, linguistic, gender, immigrant and socioeconomic minorities.
A large majority of Asian Pacific Americans reported:
- Racism in the white LGBT community,
- Homophobia and/or transphobia in the Asian Pacific American community, and
- Immigration as a top concern.
LGBT organizing is done almost exclusively in English, and no United States LGBT publication is written in any Asian language, making it difficult to get involved.
- Almost half of adult Asian Pacific Americans have limited English proficiency.
- Four out of five Asian Pacific Americans speak a language other than English at home.
The broader LGBT community must become more inclusive, defend immigrants’ rights and organize in languages other than English.
- The Issues
- Get Involved
- Our Work
- Reports & Research
- Support Us
- About Us